Thursday, June 19, 2008

Egypt - New Years 2008







This is the Egyptian football team that beat the kiwi's 25 - 1


For the Christmas / New year break the Smarts, Rich Jas Paula and I took off to Egypt. I arrived a little after the others having spent Christmas with relatives in England and met the crew in Dahab.

Dahab would have to be one of the most relaxed places we’ve ever visited and has a good young person / back packer feel about it. We hired dirt bikes, rode horses but the highlight would have to be diving the Blue Hole. Think we all agreed it was the most impressive scenic dive we’ve ever done, a big call I guess given how mint the diving can be back home.

After New years in Dahab we headed to Cairo – well worth a look (for a day or two). Pretty unique and crazy place. Saw the pyrimads and tombs / temples etc, so impressive but hard to take it all in. Also managed a trip out to the Suez canal too. Loads of funny stories etc, some that spring to mind... Spending the morning playing football with some kids in Dahab, Jas embarassing an flirting Eqyptian by dirty dancing with her in a resturant and finally me accidently tipping a waiter the equivalent of a months wages thinking I was giving him a pound.

Had a bit of a funny trip back to the UK. We flew Czech Airways on a flight from Cairo to London via Prague, only I lost my tickets in Prague and got stranded there for the weekend. What could have been a disaster turned into quite good fortune when some friendly Czech airways crew took me under their wing. Dressed in shorts and flipflops and with no clothes (it was snowing), they lent me clothes and took me out for a great night on the town. I shouted the 3 of them dinner and drinks all night and it only ended up costing me £35!

Was well buggered when I arrived back in London late on Sunday night but still smiling ear – ear.
The nice aircrew that looked after me in Prague - Cheers!

More pics on Nae’s blog http://www.smartrs.blogspot.com/

No comments: