Thursday, July 10, 2008

One year on...


People who sail often say its best to ‘Write your plans in the sand at low tide’. This is advice I think i give out a lot but could learn to use more myself.

After our time on the DB I followed many of my friends to the UK with the sole aim of replenishing the kitty and another long stint of cruising. Unfortunately I set myself high expectations based on the tales of other engineers, and after a one year holiday think it took a while to find my feet again back in the rat race. After being too fussy with electrical job offers and very strapped for cash, Richie and Jas taught me to survey and I became Jon the contracting dirt doctor! I had 6 jobs in 4 months, one I lasted two days and the longest lasting was one month. I spent my time living between friends house’s in London (thanks guys) and also stayed in Salsbury and Ipswich for a while.

In December I was offered a good opportunity back doing sub-station projects in Kent, and I’m still there. I’m really enjoying myself and get a good mix of office and site work, with projects all over the region. I have had a bit of bad luck with cars on this job though, I’m now on my 3rd with first blowing a head gasket one week after I bought it!
Around the time I took the new job I also managed to find some permanent accommodations when a room came available at Smarty and Nae’s place in Putney. An awesome flat, 11 of us in a 6 bedroom place I shared a room with Jas. Through that flat I met some amazing friends and had so many good nights / parties, a necessary combination one needs to survive a London winter..! The flat has now disbanded (a post lawn bowls / Ange’s birthday party the final straw before eviction) and I’m now living in Kent closer to work, all good.

My mission is now to bring the boat to the UK and hopefully live on it here. I figure a winter of working and living on Double Bruyn will be sufficient to get her back ready for cruising again. I’m lucky to have Jas and Smarty keen to help bring the old girl here and have set a departure date for 22nd August.
Paul and I went back to the Azores in May to start assessing the work required. We were actually a bit shocked at how much the boat had deteriorated over the year – everything had seized, anything steel inside was completely rusted and everything was salty and damp. I’m expecting 2 more trips back before she’s ready but am confident we’ll get it sorted.

Can’t complain, I’m having an absolute ball over here and am lucky to have such a neat crew to play with. LIFE IS GOOD!!!! Now I just need my boat………

The below few entries are of some of the trips we’ve been on over here.

2 comments:

Mike and Kylie said...

I'm so happy that you're going to get the ol'DB. Even though you're not sailing at the moment, you're both still "living the dream"! You're travelling, partying, meeting new people and above all think life is good. That's all that matters. Someone close to me just told me that "You are where you are supposed to be", and I think this is true for you as well. Having said all that...I think you look better on a boat!
Good luck with the trip to UK. Make sure that rigging is OK. And...if you want I can email you some waypoint....LOL!!!!!!!!!
Love you guys...keep in touch.
Kylie and Mike

Anonymous said...

Jon... don't sink on the way to Blighty!!!